- PRDH: 59965
PILON, Antoine 243303
Date de baptême 24-06-1664
Lieu d'origine Bayeux (St-Patrice) (Calvados) 14047
Parents Thomas et Madeleine Ruault
Métier du père Boucher
Première mention au pays 1689
Occupation à l'arrivée Migrant
Date de mariage 10-01-1689
Lieu du mariage Montréal (Notre-Dame)
Conjoint Marie-Anne Brunet
Décès ou inhumation Pointe-Claire, 21-02-1715
Remarques L’acte de baptême n’a pas été trouvé pour cette date mais il est mentionné dans la table décennale de la paroisse St-Patrice de Bayeux. Ses parents résidaient sur la rue de l'Épinette à Bayeux. En 1689, sa mère est nommée Madeleine Hugue. Une plaque commémorative est apposée le 21-05-1994 sur l'enceinte de l'église St-Patrice de Bayeux.
Identification* DGFQ, p. 917
Chercheur(s) Émile Vaillancourt
Référence* NOR, p. 209
Date de modification 2018-02-23
On 14 Jun 2015 Theresa Carrier-Torrealba wrote:
House Antoine Pilon & Marie-Anne Brunet located at 258 Bord-du-Lac Pointe-Claire, Québec, CANADA
This old farmhouse was built around 1710 and is one of the oldest buildings of Pointe-Claire . This is an example of vernacular architecture , recognizable by its main building seated on the ground, its high roof covered with cedar shingles, its paned casement windows with shutters and its timber piece on coated piece of plaster. The house also includes a massive stone fireplace fitted with a bread oven. Some elements , however, are additions subsequent to its construction, such as dormers and rear annex.
The house is located on lot 88 of the existing cadastre, which forms part of Lot #154 on the island of Montreal. Lot 154-D was conceded by the Sulpicians to Pierre Sauvé said Laplante 24 Nov 1698. It was then three acres of frontage on Lake St. Louis, 20 deep. Pierre Sauvé and his wife Marie-Michel sold the land to Jean Desrosiers said Du Tartre 27 Oct 1700. The lot has not changed. The two following transactions took place on the same day, September 19, 1706. Initially, Du Tartre gave the concession to Madeleine LeMoyne, widow of Jean-Baptiste Beauvais, who was assignee of the neighboring land. Ms. LeMoyne immediately sold the land 154-D to Antoine Pilon, who had already bought her land adjoining 155-D. Marie-Anne Brunet, who inherited the land on the death of her husband Antoine Pilon, donated to their son Matthew on January 22, 1729. The deed implies a land of five acres in front by 20 deep, formed Batch 154-D and 155-D. It is also the first document to report the presence of a "small house" with barn. The house has been built between 1706 and 1729. But as the Pilon inhabited the house, we just believe that it was built shortly after the acquisition of the concession, so in the summer of 1707. Gabriel Pilon, son of Mathieu and Marie-Josephte Daoust and occupant of the "family home" became the next owner by acquiring the lot 154-D when measured on 3 acres 28. The innkeeper & farmer, Pierre Pilon, son of Gabriel Pilon & Suzanne Meloche, inherited the land Dec 7, 1799. The Pilon's finally left the lot, on 1 Jul 1826 when they ceded to carpenter, W. Glasford. They were father to son owners for 120 years. Subsequent owners were: Felix Amesse, carpenter, husband of Marguerite Pilon (for purchase on 1 March 1832); François Larivée, a cobbler (for purchase April 5, 1834); Jean-Baptiste Legault dit Deslauriers, son, painter, (for purchase May 11, 1865); Damase Alexandre Valois (by purchase 19 Jul 1873); Isidore Valois (by inheritance in 1914); Charles Benedict Valois (purchases Dec 31, 1921); Joseph Duhamel (by purchase 21 Feb 1944); André Charbonneau (the current owner) finally in 1968. By the time he left home in 1976, after having lived there for a few years, André Charbonneau conducted a thorough curettage, with the intention to restore the house. He also attempted to register his home as a historical monument with public authorities, without much success. Given the scale of the work, André Charbonneau made three major decisions: he would raze the house floor by numbering all the stones and the planks, he would rebuild, restoring its original appearance, not that of 1850, and he would add an extension to enlarge it. Only the skylights betray the spirit of the early eighteenth century, as they have appeared in the middle of the century rather than the beginning. For the construction of the addition, Charbonneau visited many demolition yards in the Montreal area to find the missing pieces of wood. For the construction of the farms two pitched gable roofs, he had to resign himself to use new wood. The front offers a rhythmical and symmetrical order, typical of vernacular inspiration of Norman architecture. The inside of the original house was built as it was in the eighteenth century. One piece occupies the entire ground floor as then, forcing Charbonneau to be resourceful to ensure the solidity of the house. The reconstruction of the house proved a great success given the scale of the task. The artisan talent like Robert Lardeux (stone), Pierre coupal (carpentry and stairs) and Marcel Household (hardware), is obviously no stranger to this situation, but without the determination of André Charbonneau, this old wooden house have given way to another soulless modern building.
Antoine Pilon was born June 24, 1664, in Bayeux, Normandy, France to Thomas and Madeleine Rouault Hughes. He emigrated to New France (now known as Quebec) before 1689.
On January 10, 1689, he married Marie Anne Brunet (dit) Letang (or L'Estang). Their union would produce 13 children of whom 9 would live to be adults: Marie Jeanne (m. Jacques Proulx Potvin), Jean Baptiste (m. Marie Anne Gervais), Pierre (m. Marie Anne Jeanne Daoust), Antoine (who died at 1 month), Marie Elisabeth Isabelle (m. Guillaume Daoust), Antoine (who died at 5 months), Mathieu (m. Marie Madeleine Daoust), Jacques (who died at 14 months), Marie Marthe Madeleine (who died at 17 years), Antoine (m. Marie Josephe Roy), Marie Anne (m. Jean Baptiste Dubois Laviolette), Marie Louise (m. Andre Presseau Gauthier) and Jacques (m. Marie Jeanne Messague Laplaine).
On September 19, 1706, Antoine bought Lot 154-D from Madeleine LeMoyne, widow of Jean-Baptiste Beauvais. He had previously bought the adjoining lot, 155-D from her. Lot 154 D was then three acres of frontage on Lake St. Louis, 20 deep. On this land Antoine build the family home and the three youngest children were born in that house. This house is located at 258 Bord-du-Lac Pointe-Claire, Québec, Canada and still stands today. It is one of the oldest buildings of Pointe-Claire.
Antoine Pilon died February 21, 1715, and was buried the next day in Pointe-Claire, Quebec. When Antoine died their youngest child Jacques was about 3 years old. Upon Antoine's death the house and land went to his widow, Marie-Anne who then gave it to their son Mathieu on January 22, 1729. The deed implies a land of five acres in front by 20 deep, which was the formed when combining Lots 154-D and 155-D.
The next owner of the family home was Gabriel Pilon, son of Mathieu and Marie-Josephte Daoust acquiring the lot 154-D when measured on 3 acres 28. The next owner was Pierre Pilon, son of Gabriel Pilon & Suzanne Meloche, an innkeeper & farmer, who inherited the land Dec 7, 1799. The Pilon's finally left the lot, on 1 July 1826, when they sold it to carpenter, W. Glasford.
Marie Anne remarried on June 26, 1719, to Laurent Chatillon Godin. Marie's second husband was buried May 1, 1737, at Rivière-des-Prairies. Marie Anne died on November 6, 1747, and was buried the next day in Pointe-Claire, Quebec.
Date de baptême: 24-06-1664
Lieu d'origine: Bayeux (St-Patrice) (Calvados) 14047
Parents : Thomas PILON et Madeleine Ruault
Métier du père: Boucher
Première mention au pays: 1689
Occupation à l'arrivée: Migrant
Date de mariage: 10-01-1689
Lieu du mariage: Montréal (Notre-Dame)
Conjointe: Marie-Anne Brunet
Décès ou inhumation: Pointe-Claire, 21-02-1715
Remarques: Il semble que la date du 24 juin 1664 na pas été retrouvée dans le registre de la paroisse Saint-Patrice de Bayeux. Ses parents résidaient sur la rue de l'Épinette à Bayeux. En 1689, sa mère est nommée Madeleine Hugue. Une plaque commémorative est apposée le 21-05-1994 sur l'enceinte de l'église St-Patrice de Bayeux.
Family Lists and Itemized Dates
Antoine's Parents’ Marriage and Family List
Date: BEF 1655 or 1660
Place: Bayeux, Normandie, France
Husband: Thomas Pilon
Wife: Madeleine Hughes Ruault
All children listed are "natural"
Child: Germaine Pilon UNKNOWN
Child: Antoine Pilon
Child: Pierre Pilon
Date: 24 JUN 1664
Place: St Patrice, Bayeau, Normandie, France
Husband: Antoine Pilon
Wife: Marie Anne Brunet-Letang
All children listed are "natural"
Child: Pierre Pilon
Child: Marie Louise Pilon
Child: Marie Anne Pilon
Child: Antoine Pilon
Child: Marthe Madeleine Pilon
Child: Jacques Pilon
Child: Thomas Pilon
Child: Mathieu Pilon
Child: Antoine Pilon
Child: Elisabeth Isabelle Marie Pilon
Child: Jean Pilon
Child: Jacques Pilon
Child: Marie Anne Jeanne Pilon
Date: 21 FEB 1715
Place: Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada
Reference to 5 generations of Pilon: Antoine Pilon(V) was a voyageur, likely in the employ of one of the partners of the Northwest Company when he traveled through the Détroit River area and settled there, marrying Archange Cuillerier dit Beaubien on October 30, 1809 in the church of Assumption, Windsor, Ontario, CANADA (he had apparently fathered 2 children with Archange previous to their marriage).
In the Assumption Church registry, his father is given as Pierre Pilon and his mother, Françoise Larose (m. 1779). He is said to have been from the parish of Ste-Anne, Ile de Montréal. A slight problem occurs in that there never was a Pierre Pilon married to a Françoise Larose. However, there was a Pierre Pilon who married Françoise Robidoux, whose mother was a Bellerose.
Pierre Pilon (IV), Antoine's father, was the son of Antoine Pilon (III) and Marie-Josephte Roy (m. 1729).
Antoine (III) was the son of Antoine Pilon (II) and Marie-Anne Brunet (m. 1689 Montreal).
This last Antoine (II) (son of Thomas Pilon (I) and Madeleine Hugues dit Ruault) arrived in New France likely earlier in the 1680's, being from Bayeux, Normandy, while Marie-Anne Brunet was born in New France
?  Fichier
? Pilon Family Notes for Antoine and ancestry on Website of Rootsweb (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lowend/pilon/pafn05.htm)
See the genealogical report Ancestors of Denis Stanislas Compeau
Find A Grave Memorial# 129481975
Fromyourfolks.com listing of parish marriages in Quebec, Canada
From Le Programme de recherche en démographie historique at the Université de Montréal (The Research Program in Historical Demography at the University of Montreal):
Family of MATHIEU BRUNET LETANG and MARIE BLANCHARD # 2378 [Couple] (http://www.genealogy.umontreal.ca/Membership/en/PRDH/Famille/2378 : accessed 13 Jun 2015)
Family of Antoine Pilon and Marie Anne Brunet Letang #6269 [Couple] (http://www.genealogy.umontreal.ca/Membership/en/PRDH/Famille/6269 : accessed 13 Jun 2015).
"Québec, registres paroissiaux catholiques, 1621-1979," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-27857-14830-91?cc=1321742 : accessed 26 March 2016), Montréal > Notre-Dame > Baptêmes, mariages, sépultures 1642-1699 > image 1540 of 1937; nos paroisses de Église Catholique, Quebec (Catholic Church parishes, Quebec).